UEFA postpone Champions League and Europa League finals due to coronavirus fears

A statement released by UEFA on Monday confirmed that the Champions League final, Europa League final and the women’s Champions League final. Crucially, no decision has been made on the rearranged dates even though it was less than a week ago that UEFA said they were hoping to complete the domestic and European calendars by the end of June.

A working group will continue to assess the situation with announcements due to follow as the disease continues to grip the planet.

The showpiece events were set to take place in Istanbul, Gdansk and Vienna respectively and the consolation may be the opportunity to most mini-tournaments involving the last eight in each competition.

Meanwhile, Arsenal players were formally released from their isolation periods this morning, but have taken the precautionary step of leaving their players at home in the current climate.

Mikel Arteta tested positive for the virus, prompting the shut-down which first sparked English football to wipe out its programme.

However, even though doctors have given him the all-clear, with matches now postponed at least until May, Arsenal are taking no chances.

A club spokesman described plans to bring the squad back together as “inappropriate and irresponsible” and instead urged that their players “stay at home and save lives”.

Arteta insists he now feels fully recovered from the coronavirus as he detailed his diagnosis and recovery from COVID-19.

“I’m very well now, I feel that I have recovered,” Arteta said.

“It took me three or four days to start feeling much better and with more energy, to leave the symptoms behind and now, the truth is that I feel very well.

“Everything happened very fast. On Tuesday afternoon I was feeling so-so and I went to see the doctor but he wasn’t there.

“I got a call from the board of directors after training while I was in my car and they told me that the president of Olympiakos [Evangelos Marinakis] had tested positive and everyone that had been in contact was at risk.

“I went on to tell them that I wasn’t feeling well and that we had a situation because we had lots of players that had been in contact with them [Olympiakos].

“We had a game against Manchester City the next day and obviously we couldn’t put lots of people at risk without saying anything.

“I had the test done last Wednesday and I was diagnosed on Friday, when we had to communicate it to the Premier League that I had tested positive.

“Obviously all those that had been in contact with me had to go into quarantine, and consequently, games had to be suspended.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Daily Express :: Sport Feed