– President Buhari says not all product and commodities will feel the impact of the new tax
– According to Buhari, brown and white bread; Cereals including maize, rice, wheat, millet, barley and sorghum; Fish of all kinds; Flour and starch meals will be excluded from the VAT
– The president also said maize, rice, wheat, millet, barley and sorghum will be exempted
President Muhamadu Buhari has disclosed that not all products and commodities will be captured in the new tax regime of the country.
The president disclosed this when he presented the 2020 Appropriation Bill to the joint session of the National Assembly in Abuja.
According to him, the VAT Act already exempts pharmaceuticals, educational items, and basic commodities, saying the exemptions are being expanded under the Finance Bill, 2019, The News Agency (NAN) of Nigeria reports.
Buhari also listed specific items that would be exempted from the proposed VAT as follows.
1. Brown and white bread
2. Cereals including maize
8. Fish of all kinds
9. Flour and starch meals
12. Pulses and vegetables of various kinds;
13. Roots such as yam, cocoyam, sweet and Irish potatoes
14. Meat and poultry products including eggs; Milk; Salt
15. Herbs of various kinds
16. Natural water and table water
Legit.ng however cannot independently verify as at the time of filing this report if there are other commodities exempted apart from the above mentioned.
Meanwhile, recall that Legit.ng had earlier reported that Buhari said the Finance Bill 2019 he forwarded to the National Assembly, when passed into law, would permit government to raise the country’s Value Added Tax (VAT) from 5 to 7.5 per cent.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Buhari should put an end to banditry, unrest in Zamfara – Nigerians cry | Legit TV